I have ten more days in Calgary. I have ten more days with my family and my friends. I have ten more days with a certain lifestyle, one of comfort and joy. Ten more days.
And then I take off. It’s time for university, and will be for almost the next five years. It’s time to meet new people, make new friends, find new jobs, and live a new lifestyle. I’m extremely excited for all of it. And at the same time, more terrified than I’ve ever been.
Maybe that’s why this past summer has gone by much slower than all the summers before it. Because I’m kind of scared of it to end. I’ve had a lot of fun this summer, but in the back of my head there’s always been a clock running on how much more time I have left here. It’s been easy to ignore so far, but now the clock is ticking ever closer to the end. As of today, it’s set at ten more days. Ten more days.
Like I said, I’m both excited and nervous at the prospect of moving out and entering student life. My feelings are plagued with questions, so much so that I’ll list them instead of explaining how exactly I feel right now.
- Will I like engineering? Is it for me? And if it isn’t…what then?
- How hard will campus life be? How much will I like my room? When (if at all) will I get used to it?
- More importantly…what about my roommates? Will I like them? Will they like me? Will we become friends, or will we politely tolerate each other? Will we get along?
- Speaking of friends…what of my old ones, the ones of whom I’ve grown so fond? Will we keep in touch? Will our friendships endure the trials of time? If it does, will they change at all? If they do, to what extent?
- Will I find a girlfriend?
- How difficult will the courseload be? Will I be able to cope?
- How will I manage cooking and cleaning everyday, something I’ve been fortunate enough to never have worried about thus far in my life? Everyday??!!!
- Is Freshman 15 real?
- Will I fit into the university culture? What if everyone there is completely different for me?
- Ideals aside, how often will I be able to hit the gym? Generally, how healthy will I be?
- How hard will it be for me to find a job through co-op? What if I don’t find a job? How much money will I make? Should I take a part-time job, or focus solely on course work?
- Why the hell are taxes 13% in Ontario?
- How much money will I need through student loans? God forbid, but will my family become financially destitute because of my education? When will I be able to pay them back?
- How happy will I be there? Everything aside, in the end, that’s something I’d rather not sacrafice…yeah, it’ll be challenging, but will I learn to love the ride? Will I be happy?
Ten more days. Nine tomorrow. Eight the day after, and seven after that. The clock ticks.